Monday, April 24, 2017

Oktana & Ko

There was a sudden flurry of activity on Kickstarter early in the year. I've backed seven projects, six of which featured Canadian characters and/or creators including continuations of series for Psychosis, Auric Of The Great White North, Deborah Daring and Big Nick.

So far, six of the seven have been successfully funded so I'd like to draw a little attention to the last one as it enters the final days of its campaign.

Oktana & Ko is a 24 page full colour science fiction comic book. 
This issue tells the story of a revolutionary marine science team that have found a unique way to research octopus by mentally interfacing with them to create a symbiotic relationship. 
Their ship is hi-jacked by criminals that want to use their abilities and technology for themselves. The team must fight to protect themselves and the animals they have bonded with so closely.

More adventure than superhero, but definitely with a Canadian touch.


I know what you're thinking, but "octopuses" is actually an acceptable plural for octopus now. ;-)

Going over biographies, it is true that the majority of the talent involved with this project is not Canadian. However, a portion of creator Yuriy Levytskyy's own biography caught my attention.
I grew up in Lviv, Ukraine. Studied and got diploma in Civil engineering. Now I live in Ontario, Canada. I (became) interested in comics and met legendary artist Ty Templeton at Fan Expo in Toronto who invited me to his Comic Book Bootcamp, where I have got basic knowledge how to do comics. Since then I have been working on my own book. With talented team I transformed my dream into awesomeness.
And not coincidentally, Templeton contributed the art for the cover above.

The team needs a mere $353 to meet its rather modest goal of by May 2nd. Get a better look at the project on the Kickstarter page and consider contributing. The funds are being raised to print the book; The material is already created. So it seems like the risk is minimal and the rewards should ship relatively quickly.

Good luck the rest of the way, Yuriy and team!